Diversity is our strength
Ideon is a Science Park one of the most exciting places in Europe, where the some of the sharpest minds in the world meet to develop the future.
Ideon Science Park has a diverse set of competencies within connectivity, ICT, Life science, cleantech, energy, medtech, smart materials and food innovation. In a world of disruptive business models, this diversity is our major strength. Ideon was built 35 years ago right next to Lund University in order to connect science and research with innovators and entrepreneurs. Ideon was the first Science Park of its kind in Sweden and northern Europe.
collaboration in open innovation style
Ideon Science Park not only attracts competent individuals. Companies like Bosch, Sony, Ericsson, Volvo Cars, Huawei, ARM and Schneider Electric have R&D departments or offices here, to benefit from the mix of competences when developing the future.
Mainly, our companies develop the future within our four focus areas; Smart cities, Future transportation, Healthtech and Smart materials. However, we always strive to find new solutions and innovations across the areas, in Open Innovation style.
Quick facts about Ideon
Find out more about our amazing companies in our company list »
companies since the start
Ideon has been home to over 1 200 companies through the years!
Ideon was started!
Ideon was the first Science Park in Sweden and we are forever changing and growing!
We welcome over 50 delegations from all over the word every year
Want more facts?
- 300 000 m2 office space
- First science park of its kind in Northern Europe
- Advisor in the creation and development of the Swedish innovation system
- We collaborate with both Lund University (45 000 students) and Malmö University (30 000 students)
- Help foreign governments and Universities set up innovation support systems
- Won a special award from Region Skåne in 2018 ”For long term and extraordinary efforts to develop the business growth in southern Sweden”
the success of a long term private-public partnership
Born in 1983, when the shipping industry crisis was paralysing the south of Sweden, Ideon Science Park made a huge difference in society´s faith in the future. Through science, innovation and commercialisation, the park would lift the labor market in southern Sweden to a whole new level and create job opportunities through supporting business growth.
In fact, the region including Malmö, Lund and especially Ideon Science Park, is now one of 13 brain belts where the smartest people in the world live and work, according to authors Antoine van Agtmael and Fred Bakker in the book “The Smartest Places on Earth”.
From the start, Ideon has been a result of a public-private partnership, including Lund University, the County Administrative Board Skåne, the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Southern Sweden, the private industry and real estate owners. The diverse constellation was important and has been kept and developed ever since.
The board of directors include Lund University, Lund Municipality, Chamber of commerce and Industry of Southern Sweden, the County Administrative Board Skåne and the owners. The organisation report SUN, a trust created by the original founders, which is a non-profit organisation.
The Ideon Science Park brand contains a few supporting brands; Ideon Open, Ideon Innovation, Ideonfonden and Ideon Center, and we work closely together as a team to ensure the mission; helping companies grow and to and increase the employment in the Region.
Members of the board
- Chairman – Stephan Müchler, CEO, Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Southern Sweden
- Anders Jarl, former CEO, Wihlborgs
- Ola Orsmark, CEO Castellum, Region Öresund
- Anna Stenkil, Regional Manager, Vasakronan
- Anders Almgren, Chairman, Lund Municipality
- Christer Wallin, Second Vice Chairman, Lund Municipality
- Linus Wiebe, CEO, LU Innovation, Lund University
- Leif Nyberin, County Administrative Board of Skåne
- Maria Ivarsson, Regional Manager, Wihlborgs